There’s a saying that goes, “money spent on travel is money that can be regained, but the memories and the time that you spent together is irreplaceable.” And yes, when you come to think of it, there’s so much accuracy in that line of thinking. One of the best ways for anyone to bond as a family is taking family holidays.
Taking holidays also don’t always have to be extravagant. After all, what matters most are the memories that you make together. Life’s short, and there’s just so much beauty and wonder in this world to explore.
If you’re planning a family holiday soon, here are some of the best vacation destinations for families:
1. Lake Tahoe, California
Lake Tahoe is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the USA. It’s found in the Sierra Nevada, which is on the border of California and Nevada. Lake Tahoe is best known for its spectacular postcard-like views: crystal clear waters and mountains surrounding it. It’s one of the best nature trips that you can take your family. Children will especially love it even more during the wintertime.
Here are some of the activities that you can do as a family in Lake Tahoe:
- Your family can engage in winter sports, which include skiing, or even just having your children play around in the snow freely
- On the warmer months, your family can enjoy water and beach activities, such as jet-skiing, riding on a kayak or canoe, and going around the lake with a paddleboard
- Scuba diving activities are also available, but these are mostly reserved to the advanced divers
- Hiking and biking trails will help you enjoy the spectacular mountains even more
Learn more about planning your Lake Tahoe holiday through Vacations Made Easy.
2. Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida, is another great family holiday destination, without even having to leave the United States. It’s nicknamed as the “City Beautiful” for a good reason: there’s just so much to do there, whether as a local or for families.
If you’ve got young children, this is a place you ought not to miss, as there are two major theme parks in this area. For sure you’re going to love Orlando Disneyland and Universal Studios. Adding up to these also are their respective all-inclusive resorts, Disneyworld Resorts, and Universal Orlando Resort, respectively.
If you’re done with all the theme parks, fret not as there’s also still so much left for you to do and explore in Orlando.
3. Lisbon, Portugal
If you fancy going to Europe, Portugal is also an excellent spot for a family vacation, especially if you’re on a budget. Portugal runs cheaper than other European capital cities. Plus, it also has lesser crowds of tourists. Hence, if you’d like your family to enjoy a quiet holiday, Portugal is the perfect place for you to visit. And, its easier to navigate around also with children.
Portugal is very rich in the following:
- History, art, and culture
- Food choices
- Beautiful views and scenery
Some activities that you can do as a family would include:
- Visiting one of the best Oceanariums in the world
- Walk through the cobblestone streets of the historic quarters, and visit the Sao George Castle
- Visit the coastal town of Cascais
- Visit the beautifully coloured Pena Palace
4. Lapland, Finland
If you fancy a white Christmas, Lapland is the perfect place for you to visit. Snow is abundant, ensuring that you’re going to have snow during your holidays. Plus, why miss out on the chance to see the Northern Lights? On a good night, these can be very visible – and extremely beautiful, too!
For children, they can get one of the best experiences that they can ever have. When Christmas approaches, Santa comes in to start lingering around in the winter activities spots, complete with reindeers and elves.
5. Alaska, USA
If you’re looking to have a good nature trip, Alaska is also one of the best family-friendly spots in the USA.
Hopping on a cruise ship is one of the best ways to get to Alaska. If you’re near enough, you can grab the opportunity to have a road trip instead. Nothing beats the views you get to see while on your way. Even if you’re still in your car, the holiday already begins.
Here are some of the activities that you can do as a family:
- Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, for you to see real bears and bisons
- Kenai Fjords National Park
- Alaska SeaLife Center
- Denali National Park, where you can see North America’s tallest mountain, and get to hop on sled dogs!
Keep in mind these places when planning for your big trip. With a mix of local and overseas destinations, you’re sure that there’s something for every budget and timeframe that you’re looking for.
Now you can finally introduce your family to the wonders of travel. When they follow suit, travel is one of the best and more irreplaceable gifts that you can ever give your family.