Staying sexy, healthy, and happy is a must for every mom. Quite often, you read and hear the term “keto” everywhere as an effective weight loss treatment. This diet is truly effective due to ketosis that is brought about by a fat-rich and low-carb diet. It works by converting fats into an energy source, thereby reducing fat cells in the body.
The “keto” or ketogenic diet refers to a low-calorie and high-fat diet plan that was used in the 1920s as an effective treatment for epileptic children who were not responding to drug therapy. It was actually introduced in the 19th century to help control diabetes. But today, the keto diet has become a popular type of diet to help people attain their weight management goals.
In this post, you’ll learn about suitable foods that you can include in your keto food list to help you lose weight.
One might think that a keto diet mainly consists of carefully selected nuts, fruits, and veggies. Another concern is that the dieter may not feel satisfied or full after eating. Well, the best solution to make you feel full without gaining weight is including egg in your keto food list.
Here are the good-to-know facts about incorporating eggs as a part of your keto diet:
- Eggs contain one gram of carbohydrates and less than six grams of protein, making them a versatile and keto-friendly food.
- Aside from low carbohydrates, eggs can keep your blood glucose levels steady and enhance your feeling of fullness. That’s why eggs lessen a person’s calorie intake for up to 24 hours.
- Contrary to popular belief, eating egg yolks won’t drastically increase a person’s blood pressure nor increase the cholesterol content of the blood even if the egg is high in cholesterol. It can even reduce your risk of heart disease as it modifies bad cholesterol.
When it comes to healthy fruit options, avocados are one of the best. They are super low in carbohydrates, with only about 9 grams for a half medium-sized avocado. That’s why avocados should be included in any weight loss diet plan, making them a kitchen and table must-have.
You can eat avocados as they are or make guacamole for your favorite keto veggie salad. Guacamole has a low-carb content, and is loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats, making it a great keto snack. Also, avocado is packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and fats to help you lose weight.
If you’re a seafood lover, then it will be easier to adapt to a keto diet. The recommended keto diet seafood requirement is two servings per week.
Here are the good-to-know facts about seafood and keto diet:
- Seafood is not only healthy for the heart but you can also include it in your keto list. Salmon is rich in potassium, selenium, B vitamins, and virtually carbohydrate-free, like other fish.
- Sardines, mackerel, and salmon are fatty fish that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help increase insulin sensitivity and reduce insulin levels in obese and overweight individuals.
- As far as shellfish are concerned, crabs and shrimp don’t have carbohydrates, but some types have carbs, such as oysters, mussels, squid, clams, squid, and mussels.
- Lobster meat is an extremely nutritious seafood, is very high in protein, and low in fat.
Good examples of cruciferous vegetables include cauliflower, kale, and broccoli, which are the best substitutes for carbohydrate-rich foods. For example, you can substitute mashed potatoes or white rice with cauliflower. These vegetables decrease your risk of heart disease and cancer too, making them a perfect addition to your next keto meal recipe.
Tomatoes are actually a type of fruit with low carbohydrate and fat content. A one and a half cup of sliced tomatoes provides 2.4 grams of net carbohydrates and 16 calories. Aside from helping in weight loss, tomatoes are rich in lycopene, decreasing your risk of developing heart disease.
Strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries should always be included in your keto food list. These fruits are delicious and nutritious, and can be made into refreshing smoothies.
Here are the good-to-know facts about berries:
Strawberries: Eating strawberries in moderation is highly recommended if you’re on a keto diet. Strawberries have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. They are rich in vitamin C which boosts immunity and can help you lose weight too, with 4.1 grams of sugar and 4.7 grams of net carbohydrates for every half cup of sliced strawberries.
Raspberries: This fruit is rich in flavonoids, which are known as powerful antioxidants and good for the heart. One and a half cups of Raspberries contain 4 grams of fiber, 3.3 grams of net carbohydrates, and 2.7 grams of sugar.
Blackberries: A one-and-a-half cup serving of blackberries contain 3.8 grams of fiber and 3.5 grams of sugar. It is rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, and potassium.
Is cheese your favorite food ingredient whether consumed solo or as a dressing or topping? Surely, your kids love cheese, and most probably so do you. If you’re on a keto diet, you have to remember that there are keto-friendly cheeses and there are incompatible ones too.
Check out these best cheese types recommended for a ketogenic diet:
- Goat Cheese: The United States Department of Agriculture or USDA says that every one ounce of goat cheese contains only 0.2 grams of carbohydrates, 90 calories, seven grams of fat, and six grams of protein. Goat cheese also has less lactose, making it easier to digest than other types of cheese made from cow’s milk.
- Blue Cheese: It’s a flavorful cheese that has 32 calories, 0.2 grams of carbs, two grams of protein, and 2.5 grams of fat.
- Cream Cheese: It’s a high-fat cheese with only 0.8 grams of carbohydrates, five grams of fat, and less than one gram of protein.
- Parmesan Cheese: It’s mostly sought after for its nutty flavor, and a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese contains only 0.9 grams of carbohydrates, 1.7 grams of fat, and 1.7 grams of protein. That’s why many keto dieters love to eat Caesar salads.
Keto dieters should not deprive themselves of delicious and healthy food choices. If you want to try a keto diet, you can still include cheese, seafood, nuts, and selected fruit and vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and kale in your list. Substituting high-carb foods with the ones included in your keto food list will help you lose weight to become a sexier, healthier, and happier you.