Useful Tips To Change Your Name After a Divorce

Getting a divorce can be draining – both physically and emotionally. After investing a great amount of energy and emotions into a relationship, watching it all go down the drain can be heart-wrenching. Afterwards, you might even feel lost and empty.

In such a case, the first thing you may think about doing is changing your name back after divorce. It is one way to ensure that you are moving on. However, many women tend to keep their maiden names. It could be because the proper way to go about it is a bit shrouded.

It is all pretty understandable, and that’s why we are here to make the process a bit easier for you. If you’re struggling to find a legal and easy way to switch to your maiden name after your divorce, this is the article for you.

We have answered possible concerns you may face in the name change process. Have a look. 

Should I change my name after divorce?

There is no absolute right or wrong answer to this question. It is a matter of personal choice. For example, some people choose to keep their married surname to have the same surname as their kids. Others might not want to go through the hassle of changing their surnames.

Hence, whether you decide to revert to your maiden name after a divorce is completely your decision. There are no legal or moral obligations to undergo a surname change after your divorce.

Changing Your Name

After your marriage, you might have had two options staring back at you – take your husband’s name or opt for a double-barrel surname. However, after a divorce, it is only human to want to reclaim your maiden name. 

Most of the service providers and organisations accept the Decree Absolute, which is proof of the fact that the couple is divorced.

However, some other institutions like the bank often ask for a copy of the marriage certificate to be submitted in court. This certificate is later not returned, and hence, could be problematic. 

To get around this problem, you have two options at your disposal – make a copy of all your legal documents, or go for a deed poll.

If you were to ask us, a Deed Poll could be the way to go. It is legal and hands down the easiest way to go about your name change. 

If you just adopted your husband’s surname after marriage, it would be fairly easy for you to revert to your maiden name. You’ll need to submit a couple of legal documents, like your marriage certificate, absolute decree, and a signed statement stating that you wish to revert to your maiden name. These should suffice.

However, if your married surname was either a double-barreled surname or any other combination of you and your husband’s surnames, you’ll have to apply for a deed poll.

If you’re going through a divorce and wish to adopt a different surname altogether, you’ll require a deed poll for the same. However, you’ll not need a deed poll if the only change you’re looking for is your title. None of your primary documents, including your passport, recognises it as your identity.

Changing My Surname – A Fresh Start

Although there is no jackpot that you are entitled to after you change your name, many people believe it to be a fresh start and a new phase of life after you change your name using a Deed Poll. 

They seem to claim that changing their surname after marriage tends to help them feel more in control of their life and aids them in completely moving on.

Final Word

Whether or not you decide to change your surname after your divorce, that’s your decision. However, if you choose to change your name, a Deed Poll will be the best suitable option for you. 

Do you have more questions regarding the name change process? Feel free to shower them in the comments.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.