We all need a good night’s sleep. Failure to get quality rest often tends to affect our mental and physical states negatively. Our bodies will normally start to develop health problems when we go for too long without quality sleep. It is, therefore, necessary to try everything you can to make sure that you get to receive quality sleep.
You can start practicing the following tips to help you get started:
1. Come Up with a Sleep-Wake Schedule
Human bodies have a unique circadian rhythm. What this means is that your body is set to go to sleep at certain times and wake up at certain times as well. The sleeping and waking times will normally vary from one person to another.
However, it is necessary that you try and maintain a consistent schedule if you are to remain refreshed and energized when awake. Important tips that can help you achieve this particular fete include:
• Ensuring you go to sleep at the same time each day
• Trying to wake up at the same time
• Resisting the urge to sleep in during your off-days. Just because it is the weekend does not mean that you should adjust your sleeping habits.
• If you want to take a nap, ensure that the nap will not last for more than twenty minutes
• Try and maintain alertness after taking a heavy meal. It is common for people to become drowsy after eating. You can maintain alertness by engaging in activities that will ensure that you remain stimulated at all times.
2. Control Your Exposure to Light
Very few people are cognizant of the fact that exposure to light helps control the melatonin levels in the body. The fact that this hormone is in charge of regulating the wake-sleep cycle makes this fact very important. Your body tends to produce more melatonin when you are in a dark environment.
For this reason, it is extremely important to make sure that you get to limit your exposure to light, particularly during night hours.
The following tips will come in handy when trying to control exposure to light:
• Try and expose your body to bright sunlight during the morning hours
• Allow natural light to infiltrate your residence
• Try to spend as much time as possible in the outdoors during the daylight hours
• Try and limit your exposure to bright lights, e.g., from a PC or smartphone at least one hour before you turn in to sleep.
• Make it a point to stay away from the TV set during the late hours of the night
• Do not use a backlit gadget when reading in bed
• When the time comes for you to sleep, make sure that your bedroom is as dark as possible
3. Create a Proper Sleeping Environment
There is a lot to say about this particular factor. But the most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to have a comfortable bed. Also, try and arrange the items around you before turning in to sleep. The arrangement around you helps determine how fast or slow you fall asleep when you get to bed.
4. Get Yourself a Comfortable Mattress
It is common for people to assume that they already own a good mattress that will help them fall asleep easily. But the reality is that this is not always the case. If you are to get quality sleep, you will need to invest in a top of the line mattress. The bed frame does not matter as much as the mattress does.
For this reason, it is recommended that you get your hands on a quality mattress from Casper Mattresses. The brand has notable celebrity investors like Felicity Hayward, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Toby Maguire.
Casper Mattresses are widely renowned for their special memory foam that makes it easier for you to relax and enjoy your much-needed rest. So what makes these mattresses so snooze-worthy? The difference lies in its design. The following helps describe these mattresses to a tee:
• Use of an innovative ergonomic design. It is a mattress designed to help your body align for a deep and restorative sleep.
• It makes use of premium foams for luxurious comfort. Some manufacturers and retailers use fillers as opposed to high-quality foam. It is the reason why some of us cannot seem to catch a break when it comes to rest.
• Breathable and cool. Many foam mattresses available in the market tend to sleep hot. But the Casper mattress comes with a set of airy layers designed to ensure that you will remain nice and cool for the rest of the night.
5. Create a Good Sleep Environment
The only way to come up with a good sleep environment is by making sure that your bedroom is cool, quiet, and dark. Try and minimize the noise present in your room. You will also want to ensure that it remains cool for the rest of the night. A cool room makes it easier for you to fall asleep.
You also need to make sure that your bedroom is only used for sleeping purposes. The implication here is that you should not bring your laptop to bed with you to catch up on your emails. This is also not the time to check what is on late night television.
6. Start Exercising frequently
Exercising helps you sleep better during the night. Additionally, you are less likely to fall asleep the next day while at work or school. Although studies have intimated that vigorous exercises are the best for those with sleeping problems, you should not overlook the benefits that come with engaging in light exercises.
Walking for a few minutes each day will do wonders for your health. Taking a short walk a few times in the day will help you live a much more sedentary lifestyle. If you are having some sleeping problems, you can always try to engage in a timed exercise session.
Working out helps boost your body’s metabolism. Working out in the late afternoon or late at night can also contribute to your enhanced sleeping issues. The best thing you can do for your body where exercises are concerned would be to work out in the early morning hours.
7. Change Your Diet
What you eat during the day will also have an impact on your sleeping habits. This is more so when you choose to eat your meals close to your sleep time. Carefully consider everything you are eating or drinking. The following nutrition tips will come in handy to a person looking to adjust their nutrition habits:
• Limit your caffeine and nicotine intake before bedtime. The two can negatively affect your sleeping patterns, especially when consumed too close to your sleep time.
• Resist the urge to take a big meal at night. Try to take your dinner in the early evening hours. If possible, make sure that your dinner time occurs at least two hours before your bedtime.
• Stay away from spicy and acidic foods
• Do not take alcohol before you turn in to sleep.
• Do not take too many liquids. Taking too many fluids means that you will have to wake up multiple times to go to the bathroom.
• Reduce your overall intake of sugary foods and carbs.
From the seven factors discussed above, it is clear for all to see that there is a lot that goes into determining whether you get quality sleep or not. You should, however, note that there are instances where you are likely to experience sleep problems regardless of what you engage in before going to bed. If this happens to you, consider visiting a physician. The physician will help determine whether there exist underlying issues that may call for medical intervention.