The one where I lose my patience with the world of PR

I know that it’s part of your job description if you work in PR to be as annoying and over friendly as possible, and mostly I am tolerant of this, but today I just couldn’t be doing with it. Seriously, if you send me an email today that begins ‘Hello lovely!’ please don’t expect me to respond with anything other than a punch to the face.

The email that sent me over the edge this morning went like this:

“Hi there,

I hope all is well with you! I’m already one flat white down this morning. Might go for a second coffee but I fear the jitters!

I wanted to share a lovely bit o’ content with you from the weekend…”

Ha ha! Coffee jokes! Now we are best chums right? Oh no, hang on, we’re not, because I don’t know who you are and you haven’t even used my name.

And ‘a lovely bit o’ content’?? What even is that??

I literally had no words, so as a reply I just sent this:

Annoying PRsSometimes people just need to be told.

1. 22 October, 2014 / 11:06 am

Yes, they’re like bad chat up lines. My best one was yesterday when a brand congratulated me on my new arrival (er no babies here) – I did a double take at that and the street talk slang used in it too! At least they used my name so I should be thankful fo that – but I’m not LOL!
    Camilla recently posted…Warm Rice & Quinoa Salad with Pan Fried TofuMy Profile

22 October, 2014 / 12:07 pm

Well congratulations! Perhaps they know something you don’t!

22 October, 2014 / 12:07 pm

Why thank you :-D

22 October, 2014 / 12:08 pm

It really is isn’t it? Akin to the whole ‘falling from heaven’ type line.

22 October, 2014 / 12:05 pm

I soooo want you to reply to her Kate with the exact same picture!

2. David Nichols
    22 October, 2014 / 11:32 am

Nice one for calling people out when those kinds of emails go beyond friendly. Working in PR and Marketing myself, I agree you need to be friendly and pleasant while doing your research on the person/outlet you want to speak to, but (hopefully!) I’ve never gone overboard to the point where it sounds like I’ve stalked ha! :) Loving the ‘bad chat up lines’ similarity too ;)

22 October, 2014 / 12:05 pm

Friendly and pleasant is absolutely fine, I totally agree with that. This one not so much…

22 October, 2014 / 12:04 pm

And if they say ‘I just wanted to pick up the phone…’ as though they INVENTED the idea of verbal communication…

22 October, 2014 / 12:03 pm

:-)

3. 22 October, 2014 / 11:58 am

It’s odd because I love emails like this. I feel it’s much nicer than the standard boring ones that get through.

22 October, 2014 / 12:03 pm

Gosh, really?? I’m all for interesting, but there are ways to stand out from the crowd surely without having to resort to ‘look at us and our coffee because we’re so stressed hahahaha!’

4. 22 October, 2014 / 1:22 pm

I too get these types of emails from PR folk, don’t they know that all they have to do is change “coffee” to “4 cans of cheap lager” and they’d have got my undivided attention ;P

22 October, 2014 / 1:27 pm

Haha yes! I would definitely read on then Darren :-)

5. Bee
    22 October, 2014 / 4:03 pm

Haha Darren! I would definitely reply if they just sent an email like:

“Hello! How are you? Struggling through Monday as usual! Already on my second bottle of mouthwash! Hahaha! (Save me)”
    Bee recently posted…Titanic teaMy Profile

6. 22 October, 2014 / 4:55 pm

Oh my goodness laughing out loud! Good on you :)

7. 22 October, 2014 / 8:36 pm

I always imagine them overly blonde, wearing one of those jackets that look like somebody’s skinned a muppet, flicking their chirpy ponytail around…