As your family grows, it’s important that your home does too. But what are the best ways of rejigging a home to adapt for a growing family? In this guide, we’ll explore some of the best approaches to enhancing your home in 2023. Let’s dive in!
Firstly, you may want to replace or change existing furniture to open up space on your home. We’ll primarily focus on opening up space but if you’d rather create new spaces, skip to ‘stud wall installation’ and then check out ‘what else should I consider?’. The latter of these two explores a range of options.
Naturally, wardrobes and cupboards can take up plenty of space. Replacing them with built-in wardrobes and cupboards can make a big difference as far as freeing up space goes.
A growing family can also benefit from having a bunk bed installed. So, by having your kids use a bunk bed rather than two single beds, it can free up space in their bedroom.
Converting and Extending Rooms
To open up your home or/and to improve the functionality of its space, you may want to consider converting or extending rooms.
Here are some options worth looking into:
- Kitchen Conversion – Knocking down a wall between a back room and your kitchen is a great way of making it into a larger, unified space. This can prove very logical for growing families. It goes without saying that a wall can only be knocked down if it’s deemed safe. This, the planning and construction work must be dealt with by a professional.
- Loft Conversion – If you’re looking for another bedroom space or/and living space for your growing family, consider having your attic converted.
- House Extension – There are several types of house extensions including side return, wrap-around and rear extensions. One way or another, an extension can create new space such as to install a playroom, game room or to extend an existing kitchen.
Another great way of freeing up space is to opt for built-in storage. For example, you may want to have your wardrobe replaced with a built-in wardrobe.
While it can be costly, built-in storage is a great way of making more room throughout your home while also adding a more seamless, open feel to various spaces.
Stud Wall Installation
If you’d rather create two rooms for distinct purposes using an existing, relatively large space, you could always have a stud wall installed by a professional.
On average, the stud wall installation cost lands around £800 to £900, however, it will depend on a range of factors including the size/type of stud wall being installed.
Vertical Kitchen Radiators
While most homes use only horizontal radiators, vertical radiators can be a great space-save installation for a kitchen, especially if it’s a large open space. If suitable, adding vertical radiators can leave you with more room and make the kitchen feel larger.
What Else Should I Consider?
Along with the points already raised, you should consider the following:
- Improve natural light such as by having skylights installed.
- Have a professional fit a storage space beneath your stairs.
- Create a dedicated dining area (e.g., dining table in the kitchen as a kitchen centrepiece).
- Taking steps to declutter your home or/and rethinking storage can also free up space and make it better suited to a growing family.