A Home for Mr Tipps

As a respected blogger, (I see you sniggering at the back), I quite often get offered free stuff.

I know, cool isn’t it?

I seriously never expected it, and I definitely didn’t start blogging to get free stuff. Most of the stuff is a bit odd, (Crock Pot anyone?), and I mainly just say a polite ‘no’, especially to the people who have clearly never read my blog before. Like the woman who began her email ‘I can tell from reading your blog that you’re a big fan of baking’. I also appreciate that it’s pretty dull to read about me trying out stuff like Slendertone.

Sometimes though I get contacted by people who just seem genuinely lovely*, or who have really cool things they want to tell me about, and I actually just want to help them. Like Tom Percival, a Bristol based author and illustrator who has just written this gorgeous book, called A Home for Mr Tipps.

Have a look for yourself if you don’t believe me…

Tom percival books

Believe it or not, (and regular readers may not), I went through a little phase when we first moved to the new house of reading a story to Belle at bedtime. I know, I know, but I think it was the whole ‘new house’ thing. It’s worn off now, don’t worry.

Getting our very own copy of A Home for Mr Tipps was timed perfectly with this parenting blip though, and we both loved it. I mean look at the pictures – who wouldn’t?

Of course I love books generally, but this really is beautiful. I would definitely buy it. If I hadn’t been given one obviously.

And if you want EXTRA cute, there’s even videos. Nice.

*Tom’s girlfriend even offered to have coffee with me if I needed new friends. That IS lovely.

1. 19 August, 2011 / 8:29 pm

Love books like this. I’m a sucker for cool art and always judge a book by it’s cover. Hope you’re all settling in nicely to Bristol life lady. :)

• 19 August, 2011 / 8:33 pm

Haha! I’m totally the same – and not just how a cover looks either, I love to stroke the front of books…

Bristol is great thanks. Feels a bit like I’ve been too busy working to get out and about much but I’m looking forward to the girls going back to school and settling into a nice routine that involves a lot of me sat in cafes :-)

• 19 August, 2011 / 10:05 pm

Busy working is good though and if you get the occasional time off to make pants from silk scarves (or was it the other way round?!) then so much the better. Glad life is good :)

• 21 August, 2011 / 3:18 pm

Busy working IS good, I’m sure I’d be complaining if I DIDN’T have any work! There was a course teaching you how to make your own corset too, which I liked the look of…

2. Vicky
    19 August, 2011 / 8:40 pm

Looks lovely. And as a big fan of buying books for the kids I might give that one a try.

• 21 August, 2011 / 3:16 pm

You definitely should. I probably should have mentioned that the story’s not bad either!

3. 19 August, 2011 / 8:52 pm

I’m sold! His illustrations are bloody gorgeous! Will buy his books with immediate effect, thanks for the Amazon linky.

• 19 August, 2011 / 9:15 pm

Aww, thanks Mr Shrev, Vicky and Scribblingmum. I hope you enjoy the story!

Cheers, Tom.

• 21 August, 2011 / 3:17 pm

Fab aren’t they? Just the kind of style I love. I thought you’d be a fan!

4. Jo
    19 August, 2011 / 10:35 pm

wow so glad i checked my mail tonight and saw your blog, me and the family have been massive fans of tom’s work for some time. Google him, his work is amazing!

• 21 August, 2011 / 12:07 pm

Hey, Thanks for your kind words Jo, I’m glad that you like what I’m doing!

• 21 August, 2011 / 3:19 pm

Brilliant isn’t he? I definitely want to be his friend :-)

5. 20 August, 2011 / 1:42 am

Parenting blip.. Love it! X

6. 20 August, 2011 / 6:13 am

then go back to the newly moved house mummy and read bedtime stories, I think bedtime stories is a wonderful sharing time, when children talk about their fears and worries and bad things that happened to them that week, its not just about the story. I was sad when mine reached 10 ( youngest 8) and I had to give up bedtime stories….best bit of my day the snuggley closeness. never mind this book lokks lovely and I now have a whole new generation to read to

• 21 August, 2011 / 3:21 pm

You know Elaine, I think as much as anything it’s the quality of children’s books – so many are just terrible, I find it really hard to read them! I know my enjoyment isn’t really the point, but still…
      I’ve tried to get her interested in Nancy Drew, but with no luck :-(

That’s why it’s so nice to discover a book like Tom’s that’s actually a pleasure to read.

7. Sarah
    20 August, 2011 / 6:27 am

We’ve loved Tom Percival ever since we were given a copy of “The Super Spooky Ghost Book” The illustrations are gorgeous in there too if you ever have another ‘blip’ :)

• 21 August, 2011 / 3:21 pm

I’ll definitely be checking out his other stuff – reckon we’ll become proper fans now :-)

8. 3 June, 2012 / 4:16 pm

08.01.2005· do you want to know what are the actual interesting things within Frankfurt philippines we identify you 14 associated with my own high quality ones right here.anno 1404 tipps