Mulled wine and mince pies – the recipe for a perfect Christmas party

Burlesque outfitI love parties.

I love the dressing up, the drinking, the dancing, the snogging inappropriate boys, the general embarrassment that comes with waking up the next morning to find yourself asleep on a hard study floor under a desk. It’s all good.

Unfortunately, now I am a Grown Up, my friends don’t really have parties. (Unless they are keeping them secret. See above…) They seem to worry about things like carpets and hangovers, and would rather have quiet nights in with their husbands, a  nice cup of tea, and the Antiques Roadshow.

So, if I want to go to a party, I normally have to throw my own, which is fine by me, as that way I get to insist on fancy dress and be the centre of attention.

*brief pause while everyone who knows me says to themselves ‘Jo, an exhibitionist? Surely not…’*

Pirate costume fancy dressOver the last couple of years I’ve had some great parties, each with a theme that incorporates what for me are the key elements of a good party – pretty lights and decorations, potent cocktails, and a requirement to dress as sluttishly as possible.

Like my burlesque themed birthday party, or the party I had to celebrate International Talk Like A Pirate Day.

This week I am hosting a Christmas party, at the request of my friend Dev, who wanted a party of her own, but was too worried about her rugs to risk having one at her own house. Unfortunately, work commitments have left me very little planning time, so that all I have really done so far is grab basketfuls of fairy lights in Matalan and buy myself a Christmas Whore outfit from Ann Summers.

Now obviously I don’t want my guests to end up standing around a bare kitchen drinking cheap lager from the Spar, so on Friday, I will do the required trip to Sainsbury’s to stock up on mince pies and mulled wine ingredients, and I’ll festoon the house with sparkly baubles. Tonight I will also be watching Kirstie and Phil’s Perfect Christmas, to get me in the mood, but I’d love some ideas for making my party as festive and fun as possible. Do you have a fab Christmas cocktail recipe you can share? Music recommendations maybe? Or perhaps some top tips for how to prevent myself ending up passed out under a desk? Let me know!

1. Lisbeth
    7 December, 2010 / 7:09 pm

Dev DOES have the most lovely rug….

• 8 December, 2010 / 10:22 am

Yes, but haven’t the children already soiled it??

2. 7 December, 2010 / 10:26 pm

Aaaahhhhhh, to be young and ovulating…..
    I remember those days! Fun post, I would like to be thirty-something again and invited to your party! Have a great time.

• 8 December, 2010 / 10:23 am

Lol, I DO love ovulating :-)

I do have a very mixed age range at my parties normally to be fair….

3. 8 December, 2010 / 9:03 am

So long as I don’t wake up covered in Baileys again, I’ll be happy!! :)

• 8 December, 2010 / 10:21 am

I’m with you on that one. I can only turn the sofa cushion over once you know. I am planning for this to be a much more quiet, refined gathering anyway :-)

4. Nesbo
    8 December, 2010 / 9:16 am

Well, I have plenty of music recommendations and know how to mix a delicious tipple – but as for under-desk sleeping, I can only suggest I be a better host next time and not pass out (after vomming out of my window) in bed with two guys…

• 8 December, 2010 / 10:20 am

Well quite. It was definitely your fault and not mine at all.

5. 8 December, 2010 / 5:27 pm

Vitamin B, and lots of it. It helps prevent and cure hang over. Takes some before bed, and some when you wake up.

6. 8 December, 2010 / 10:32 pm

God, I’m rubbish at parties. I’m the sensible one who holds your hair whilst you vomit, and stops drinking when I’ve had enough. Now, my boy, he can party, he’s a feckin nightmare. Went out last weekend (for ‘one’) and literally fell through the door and fell on the spare bed fully clothed on all the clean washing. Miss L gave him a morning kiss and told him that he smelt a bit funny.

Enjoy your parteee – I shall be staying in and watching X factor and ordering a take out. x

7. Lois Grounds
    19 April, 2013 / 5:47 pm

Antiques are usually objects which show some degree of craftsmanship, or a certain attention to design such as a desk or an early automobile. They are most often bought at antique shops, or passed down as an estate. Some valuable antiques can be bought from antique dealers and auction services or purchased online through websites and online auctions. Antique dealers are often members of national trade associations, many of which belong to CINOA, a confederation of art and antique associations across 21 countries, representing 5000 dealers.*

Most interesting article content on our internet site