A short rant about contouring

It’s half term this week, so when Belle was up and dressed – around 3pm – she walked into town to meet me at my office and we went for a mooch around the shops. First on her list was Boots to look at the make up. Specifically the pigments.

(Don’t even get me started on pigments. Belle goes on about them all the time and I don’t even know what it means.)

My eye was caught by a display of products to help the discerning girl about town with her ‘contouring’. In case you don’t know, contouring is essentially painting your face strategically to try to change its shape e.g. giving yourself fake cheekbones. As far as I can gather it’s basically make up to try to make you look thinner.

I have two issues with contouring.

Firstly, who is it, telling our beautiful young daughters that they need to spend money on brown creams and powders to paint fake shadows on their faces?! What’s wrong with women’s faces as they are? I mean seriously, WT actual F? Make-up is a weird enough concept as it is, and not something I feel especially comfortable with, but at least you can sort of justify that as just experimenting with colour or something. Contouring seems to be saying ‘er yeah, your whole face is just wrong. You might just want to change its shape?’

NOT COOL.

Secondly, regardless of the moral issues, it looks stupid.

This is a photo I took of the display that caught my eye. It’s poor quality as far as photography goes, but you get the point:

contouring

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but this is what I see:

Top left, the before picture – normal, pretty young woman, already wearing plenty of make up but looking perfectly normal.

Bottom right, the after picture – weird blow up doll.

If you look at the top right picture, you can see the essence of contouring. Contouring is saying ‘your nose is too wide, your forehead is too high, your cheeks are too fat, your chin is too wide and your cheekbones are not defined enough.’

Seriously guys! What is going on?!

Is it just me that thinks this whole trend is messed up??

Share:

25 October, 2016 / 7:13 pm

The make up industry drives me mad – when are we going to wake up and realise we don’t need ANY OF THIS?!?

1. 25 October, 2016 / 8:12 pm

Yes, Exactly this. I thought I was the only person who felt this way about this contouring! I actually think she looks slightly comical in the ‘after’ photo with her puffed up cheeks. She looks much better before to me and of course she was already beautiful without all that nonsense. x
    Mummy’s Blog recently posted…Flamingo Candles The Melt Crowd Subscription BoxMy Profile

2. 25 October, 2016 / 8:38 pm

I completely agree – I hadn’t even heard of contouring before I read this, but then I wear very little make-up and wear the same as I’ve been wearing for many years. But I do think it’s sending a dangerous message to our young girls, firstly about expecting them to grow up far too soon, and also around their body image. And I have read recently that there’s an increasing issue with what’s now considered a ‘masculine’ body i.e. honed and muscled, which is starting to cause similar problems with young boys. It’s a shame we can’t just accept that there’s a whole range of body shapes and types.
    Elizabeth Manneh recently posted…It’s National Baking Week! Ready, Steady, Bake!My Profile

3. Mandy Cochrane
    25 October, 2016 / 10:47 pm

I trained in make-up and beauty therapy over 30 years ago and have to say the concept was around back then, but contouring was more likely something a professional would apply, not so much part of a mainstream make-up routine. I much prefer the natural look, then and now. As it takes some skill to apply that kind of make-up well, I can only hope that most kids will make a complete pig’s ear of it and come to the conclusion that their own natural appearance is far more flattering!

4. 26 October, 2016 / 9:49 am

Agreeeee!! World is going mad. Why must there always be so much pressure to look nothing like your actual self? I love makeup. It’s so much fun to be able to experiment with it and it can make you feel so good! But we are not all movie stars and celebrities being photographed all day long…. Too much time and money wasting!!

5. 26 October, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Boooooo to contouring. I totally agree with you – such a weird phenomenon. Same with the HD brow thing, I just don’t get it and it mostly always looks worse when people do it. I love a bit of subtle make up to brighten up my skin or hide some blemishes/eye-bags a bit when I’m feeling tired but trying to actually change your actual face makes me rage because of the saturation of a patriarchal advertising machine that just feeds us all sorts of negative narratives about being OK the way we are. Well done for speaking out. x

6. 27 October, 2016 / 2:55 pm

It’s totally bonkers. I once saw a shop assistant with really obvious, not very well blended contouring and I couldn’t help staring. It looked really weird and unnatural and she was such a pretty girl, she really didn’t need it! xx
    Kathryn recently posted…THREE WAYS TO UPDATE YOUR OUTFITMy Profile

7. sandy ralph
    27 October, 2016 / 7:07 pm

I’m so pleased someone else has seen this, i thought i was the only one who hated it, the last photo reminds me of a real life barbie doll, I don’t like it at all

8. Alice
    31 October, 2016 / 11:25 am

The contouring world is SO MAD. I always wonder that if you have a boyfriend/husband, won’t they wake up next to you in the morning and think “WTF?!” because your face looks so different to the night before?! Pretty much all the contouring before/afters look way better before, too.

I did watch the Addams family yesterday though and realised Morticia Addams is the original contour queen: she can get away with it 😉
    Alice recently posted…The 6 Month Man DroughtMy Profile

9. 31 October, 2016 / 11:37 am

even contouring that’s been done well still looks …i can’t think of the word ..like it’s not meant to be there? either way, blend, blend, blend! that’s when it looks awful, when it’s not blended well. to be honest i am all for anyone wearing as much or as little make up as they want – but contouring and super dark drawn on brows are the two things that just creep me out a little!
    laura redburn recently posted…harvest tour of westons cider millMy Profile