4 ways to earn decent money from home without touching surveys or clicksites

Looking for new ways to earn decent money online? Thanks to Jon from The Money Shed for this guest post. It’s not a sponsored post or anything, we just got chatting after I wrote my post about 43 ways to get more blog traffic, and we thought it might be useful. I’ve not tried any of these methods myself, so can’t vouch for them, but I’d be interested to know if you have or, if you do, how you get on. Enjoy!

ways to earn money online

I EARN £1000s FROM MY BEDROOM – WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?

CLICK HERE!

This is how earning money from home is usually introduced to the majority of people. They click on the magical words, expecting to learn how they can earn that sort of money from their bedroom, and are typically then introduced to one of the many MLM, (Multi level Marketing), companies out there, such as Younique / Avon / Forever Living or even worse, survey sites!

But did you know there is another way?

First let me introduce myself; my name is Jon and I’ve been earning money from home for about 10+ years. I’ve never done this full time, as I work the usual 9-5 slog in the real world, however I’ve always done things around work to earn extra money. I suppose it really started with eBay when I started selling items I was getting for cheap and turning a profit, (this was before China got eBay access obviously!) From there I went into mystery shopping, then working for text entertainment services, and I’m currently working for a web search evaluator company helping you get better results when you search.

Those have been my main earners, but I’ve always done extra work around that as well. In a given month I bring in anything from £800-£1200 a month, which may seem quite a range, but because I work full time real life does tend to get in the way and so my earnings each month vary.

What I’m going to do in this post is give you the Alton Towers style FAST PASS to earning online from home. This means no MLM, no click sites and certainly no bloody surveys to fill in for £1 a time! What I am giving you here are four fantastic ways you can earn money which, if you follow, I can GUARANTEE will earn you £500+ a month. Why only four? Because we don’t want to spread ourselves too thinly here when we are just starting out.

Become a Web Search Evaluator

This is without doubt the highest paid ‘off the street’ job available for you to do from home. You are paid above minimum wage per hour to help evaluate content on the web to better the results that come out from search engines. The tasks are varied and I tend to spend just 2-3 hours a day doing this kind of work. One company offering this work is Leapforce; if you wish to apply you simply fill in the application form and you will then be invited to an entrance exam after which, if you pass, you will offered a 6 month rolling contract with them. Sadly this is about as much as I can say about the job, as anyone working for them is bound by an iron clad NDA, however if you wish to apply just click here, select the UK position and away you go.

• Earning potential per month £600+
  • Equipment needed – Laptop + smartphone

Become a Ninja/Spy

Everyone has a smartphone. Even your Gran has one – it may have giant buttons but it’s still a smartphone. Did you know there are great apps to earn money with that you can use on them? I’m talking REAL money again here, not pennies. I would say there are five main players in this field – Field Agent, Roamler, StreetSpotr, Clic and Walk and Streetbees.

Field Agent is the only one that is exclusively available on Apple devices, (they also offer the most work), the rest are on iOS & Android. The sort of work you would be doing is ‘real time’ mystery shopping for which you are typically paid anything from £2-£10 per task. What I mean by that is that tasks come up on the app for everything from photo checks in your local supermarket, to making sure a product is being displayed correctly, to taking photos of road signs to help companies that provide data to satnavs. All the work is well paid and takes a matter of minutes so if you can fit in a loop of tasks or maybe do some in your lunch break you can earn some good money.

The ONLY thing I should mention here is that these apps are dynamic. They don’t control the work, the clients do, and while today there may not be anything in your postcode that could all change tomorrow as a new task comes online. So if you decide to download these apps do keep checking! To download these apps just go onto your App Store and search for them.

NOTE : You may find when you sign up to Roamler that you need an invite. If you pop over to The Money Shed we can sort that out for you as we have a relationship with Roamler and have an ongoing invite code you can use 😉

• Earning potential per month £100+
  • Equipment needed – Smartphone

My latest Field Agent earnings:

FAearnings

Some Roamler tasks:

RoamlerTasks

Become a secret Personal Shopper

Ever wondered how customer service gets better in shops? It’s with the help of mystery shopping. Compared to what I have mentioned above with those smartphone apps this is more the traditional type of mystery shopping. It is meals out that are paid for + a fee, it’s weekends away in Spain fully paid + a fee (yes I have done that as well) and much more.

As long as you are good at remembering the experience you have in whichever store/restaurant/holiday village you are sent to, (I tend to write the details on my phone at the time!), you will do fine. Usually the tasks just involve going into somewhere, acting like a normal customer and leaving. Then when you get home you write up that experience (usually takes about 20mins) and upload any photos they might have asked you to take (copy of the receipt or photo of the front of the shop).

All in all the work isn’t very taxing and it’s easy to grab a few shops at the start of the week and have your lunches paid for near enough all week. To get into this you need to be looking at signing up to companies such as Market Force, ESA and Retail Active. Especially the former as they are very good at ‘hand holding’ you through your first few assignments, which can be really good at getting you the confidence you need to do well at this.

It’s also worth mentioning one other company and that is eDigitalResearch. This is mystery shopping but done 100% online. All the shops you do are online retailers so you basically order stuff online and then answer questions about how you found the website experience. eDigitalResesarch pays VERY well for the work you are asked to do and if maybe you are stuck as home due to child care but still want to get involved with mystery shopping this is the ideal company for you.

• Earning potential per month £100+ (as long as your sign up to work for MULTIPLE Mystery Shopping companies)
  • Equipment needed – Laptop + smartphone

Some of my eDigitalResearch earnings:

edigitalresearch

Become someone that fixes the web!

Sick of plumbers, mechanics and joiners charging you over the odds to get stuff fixed? Well now it’s your turn to fix stuff and feel smug about it by getting paid.

Two companies out there who will pay you very well for helping to fix existing websites are WhatUsersDo and uTest. These are companies that businesses go to when they want external people to check for bugs and evaluate the user experience. WUD is more about the user interface of a website and uTest is a bit more technical.

With WhatUsersDo you get emailed when there are websites that they want evaluating. You then login to their site and follow their instructions. So it might be go to website X and go through the process or ordering a bottle of wine. There is no report writing with this, you use a microphone to describe what you are doing and feeling in real time. A typical task will take around 15 mins and pays £8 a time. There are also an increasing number of tasks that need checking on a smartphone or tablet (Apple or Android) and they pay £15 (sometime more) for 15 mins work. As there is no report writing involved you can just grab the work, do what needs to be done and get paid!

With uTest it’s slightly more technical as you are trying to find bugs within a website, so maybe a link that doesn’t work or some graphics that aren’t aligned properly on the page. You get paid per bug that you find in a cycle (which typically last a few days) but work is plentiful and you can look to bring in £200+ a month if you take part in all the cycles. As you are paid per bug you can expect it take longer to earn with this at the start than when you are getting used to it and you learn what you should be looking for on these sites.

• Earning potential per month £100-£300 (Typically 3-6 WhatUserDo tasks a month and taking part in as many uTest cycles as you can.)
  • Equipment needed – Laptop + smartphone or tablet

So there you have it, four fantastic ways you can earn from home that don’t involve surveys, click sites or any sort of multi level marketing at all, that will bring you in over £500 a month. If you want any more info then pop over to join us at The Money Shed. We are the UKs largest community site for working from with over 32,000 posts and a fantastic community of over 1300+ members so all the help and support you need to finding work from home is there waiting for you!

PS from Jo – I came across this article from WordPress too which might be handy – 25 legit ways to make money from a WordPress blog. You’re welcome!

Header image – GaudiLab/shutterstock.

Share:

• Lauren
      25 April, 2017 / 3:11 pm

Hi Jon, sorry but market force do not pay above minimum wage. Have been in their site for 15 years and since it’s been taken over in the noughties the pay has dropped to £2-4 an assignment. Not worth doing, coupled with tasks that require your own financial input to complete, or in other words, insufficient money towards the cost of the purchase.

1. 29 May, 2015 / 3:29 pm

I found this really interesting – especially the first idea, of COURSE this kind of job exists but it didn’t occur to me until now. Great food for thought!
    Alison recently posted…Winning At Work/Life BalanceMy Profile

• 29 May, 2015 / 6:10 pm

Hi Alison

Yup all these opportunity exist and a whole lot move

I don’t do any “work online” that doesn’t pay above UK minimum wage

Pop over to our site if you want to get stuck in and get some help finding that work from
      Home opportunities that are actually going to pay you a decent wedge for your time and will fit into your lifestyle
      Jon recently posted…Re: YOUGOVMy Profile

2. 29 May, 2015 / 7:08 pm

How interesting! Especially the first one, because of having a website myself.
    I’ve never done anything like any of these jobs. Though I once I used a website that you added your site details in to, and they provided you with a video of someone’s first experience on you blog. I did think at the time, I’d love to give that a go as a job!
    Amanda recently posted…Picnic time at Calke Abbey : National TrustMy Profile

3. 30 May, 2015 / 9:07 am

I stumbled across The Money Shed just over a year ago and until then I thought earning online was all surveys or pre-arranged positions with the company you worked for. Jon was super helpful and landed me a position with the text entertainment service he mentioned and I was introduced to a many other things. This gave me the online confidence & experience I needed which recently netted me a temporary position with the countries biggest parenting site; my online CV just keeps growing.

I do 3 of the 4 jobs on this list (and a pesky MLM 😉 )
    Chammy recently posted…Won’t be long!My Profile

4. 30 May, 2015 / 11:56 am

This article is awesome – I am an active member of The Money Shed and over the past year,I have taken (the majority) of Jon’s advice on board and applied for most of these opportunities. I earn on average £800 a month, working around 25-30 hours a week (around my kids and other job), and have made some lovely friends from the site. When I first started trying to earn money online, I assumed it was full of scams and there was no real way of doing so. I’m happy to say I’ve been proved wrong, and I’m forever grateful for Jon and the site as it’s helped me clear loads of debt, and I’ve even managed a holiday abroad (and quite a few pairs of new shoes) 🙂

5. 30 May, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Great comprehensive post! Sometimes it’s really nice having all the info in one place.

• 31 May, 2015 / 1:32 pm

Hi Megan

Glad you like the post and hopefully you can use the info from it.

Just FYI i have just posted my earnings this month from home over in the diary section of The Money Shed and I have made £950 so the money is there, ready and waiting, if you want to go and earn it!
      Jon recently posted…Re: YOUGOVMy Profile

6. 31 May, 2015 / 1:33 pm

Hi Laura

Thanks for the kind comments about the article

Hope you get on well when you decide to dip your toes into the methods I’ve mentioned above. If you need any help at all let me know!

Jon
    Jon recently posted…Re: YOUGOVMy Profile

• 31 May, 2015 / 8:11 pm

Hi Jess

Glad you liked the article – Like you say earning from blogs can vary each month however the methods to earn from home I have detailed above give you a guaranteed income of £600+ which would definitely be a bonus for you!

Jon
      Jon recently posted…Re: ApptrailersMy Profile

7. 31 May, 2015 / 8:16 pm

This is definitely worth knowing, hadn’t heard of these revenue streams at all. Thanks for sharing! x
    Kathryn recently posted…The Happy List #97My Profile

• 1 June, 2015 / 11:12 am

Hi Kathryn

Great to hear we have dropped some money earning knowledge on you with this article! – Hopefully it will mean some great things as you start to earn some cash working online

Thanks

Jon
      Jon recently posted…Re: June moneymaking challenge!My Profile

8. 5 June, 2015 / 8:43 am

What a useful post!! I’ll certainly be checking these out 🙂

9. 7 September, 2015 / 12:47 pm

Brilliant advice as usual Jon, I’m a big fan of the earning apps just wish they had more jobs in my area such an easy earner, I’m eagerly awaiting my first task from edigs as well.

10. Mia Jones
    24 June, 2016 / 8:17 am

I am currently use Earn Honey . It gives me an opportunity to earn money from home by watching video , survey and also playing game . It is very entertaining . Go for it !

11. 6 September, 2016 / 9:38 am

Thanks for a great article Jon. I have completed the application on Leapforce and am waiting to hear from them. Will also check out some of the other opportunities. As a private tutor and owner of the Approved Tutors website I do have free time which could be put to better use. Another great way to earn extra money is as a private tutor. Please check out the Approved Tutors website where you can find a tutor near you for 250+ subjects or become a tutor.

12. 25 October, 2016 / 12:44 am

These are actually good pointers Jon! Stay at home moms and students will benefit from these tips.

13. 16 January, 2017 / 5:15 am

Great article and tips, currently a web designer and looking to secure extra income and this will certainly help thank you

14. Robert Adams
    18 January, 2017 / 7:52 pm

I’ve earned quite a bit of extra money by making various ”how to” videos and posting them online. I got the idea from
    videocoursemoneykit.com I recommend giving this a try

15. Rhoni
    13 February, 2017 / 1:02 am

Hi,

Thank you very much for this article that give me hope as I’m overdebt and my main job salary doesn’t allow me to save enough and pay back the money I owe.

I’m struggling to register in romler as it asking for a special code,could help me get it please?

16. MJK
    21 February, 2017 / 12:58 pm

New Roamler code X2V2VQ

17. 11 April, 2017 / 9:30 pm

This is an amaging article about earn decent money from home without touching surveys or clicksites.

18. Ceri mirt
    21 April, 2017 / 4:40 pm

Hi jo do you have an activation code for Roamler please?

19. 24 April, 2017 / 9:10 pm

Thanks for this Jon. Great tips for making a bit of extra income and sounds much less stressful than the text message answer service I used to work for which paid me 30p a text… I also had fond memories of mystery shopping which was how I used to eat lunch as a poor law student many moons ago / I think I mystery shopped every pret there was in the city!
    Rachel recently posted…Easter Ideas: The Great Egg HuntMy Profile

• 27 April, 2017 / 6:55 pm

Hi Rachel

I would hazard a guess that we have BOTH worked for the same text message service based on that rate of pay lol 🙂

20. John
    26 April, 2017 / 10:23 pm

You keep promoting The Money Shed but as far as I can see they do not provide any transparency on who is behind it, how it is funded etc. Not up to your usual disclosure standards surely?

27 April, 2017 / 3:14 pm

Hi John, The Money Shed is run by a friend of mine called Jon, (who tends to jump in and answer all the questions on these posts), and he doesn’t pay me in anyway, so there’s nothing really to tell! The posts tend to be really popular and get me a lot of new visitors, which is why I’m happy to host them from time to time. I hope that helps 🙂

• John
        27 April, 2017 / 8:01 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond Perhaps it the lack of transparency on his site that should worry me. Keep up the good work. You often make me laugh and I enjoy your instagran photos

• 4 May, 2017 / 8:25 pm

Hi John

How do you think I could improve the transparency on my site?

thanks

Jon

21. paul
    15 June, 2017 / 5:48 pm

bailey22441@hotmail.com. I need a 123 program for my laptop that Generates money for me all the time…something siml
    ple easy to use.